Before hiring a vehicle from a rental agency, it is important to ask numerous questions before you decide to use that company. You’ll want to ensure you are dealing with a reliable, trustworthy organisation who can provide you with a fully insured, road worthy vehicle. Here is a list of questions to ask before renting a vehicle.
What kind of insurance do they provide?
- It is important to know what kind of insurance the rental company provides on their vehicles, most professional agencies will have all their cars fully insured so you won’t need to contact your insurance company about hiring a rental. They may also allow you to use your own policy if you wish to do so, but they’ll insist that your policy is fully comprehensive, they won’t consent to third party insurance policies.
Do they need you to return the vehicle with a full tank?
- It is important to verify whether you need to return the vehicle with a full tank, if it’s not specified in the contract you should ask the supplier to clear up any confusion. Most car rental agencies will require you to return the vehicle the way you got it, this means if the tank was half full when you collected the car, it must be half full when you deliver it back to the company.
Do I need to have a full driving licence, and if so, for how long?
- The vast majority of professional car hire businesses will require all customers to have a recognised, full drivers licence, if you don’t hold a UK licence, you must show a legitimate international driving permit. There may be further stipulations, such as the length of time you’ve been a fully licenced driver, if you’ve only recently passed your test you may not be able to rent a vehicle. The rental company may also ask you to produce your original driving licence with your international permit before they allow you to rent a vehicle.
Can I drive all kinds of vehicles?
- If you plan on driving in the UK, you will be able to drive most types of vehicles, but it depends on your licence and the date it was issued. For example, if you need a van rental in Norwich you must check your licence category to ensure you qualify to drive a vehicle other than a standard car. Older licences usually have more of an entitlement to drive commercial vehicles.
What happens if I return the car late?
- Before renting a vehicle, you should discuss their policy on late returns, if you decide to hire on a daily rate, there is a good chance that you’ll have to pay extra if you return the vehicle later than specified. If you are running late, it is best to call ahead and ask can you extend the rental.
It is important to hire a rental car from a dependable company, remember to carefully study the contract so you know what to expect if you experience something like a breakdown. You’ll have no issues finding a reliable vehicle to suit your needs.